Foreigner Regional Registration Offices   >   Visa Registration
General Instructions for Registration by the Foreigners
Foreigners Registration in India

All foreigners (including foreigners of Indian origin) visiting In dia on long term (more than 180 days) Student Visa, Medical Visa, Research Visa and Employment Visa are required to get themselves registered with the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO)/ Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) concerned having jurisdiction over the place where the foreigner intends to stay, within 14 days of arrival. However, Pakistan nationals are required to register within 24 hours of their arrival. All Afghan nationals are required to register with the FRRO/FRO concerned within 14 days of arrival except those Afghan nationals who enter India on a visa valid for 30 days or less provided the Afghan national concerned gives his/her local address in India to the Indian Mission/FRRO/FRO.

All Indian Missions shall stamp the visas of the foreigners mentioned at above to the effect “REGISTRATION REQUIRED WITHIN 14 DAYS FROM THE DATE OF ARRIVAL” in India. As regards (b) the Indian Missions may stamp the visas to the effect “REGISTRATION NOT REQUIRED IF EACH STAY DOES NOT EXCEED 180 DAYS”.

Apart from the above, foreigners entering on Journalist and any other category of visa which is valid for more than 180 days and do not have a special endorsement of “Each stay 180 days hence no registration required” are required to register with the concerned F.R.R.O.'s, F.R.O.s within 180 days of their arrival. Foreigners (including minors above 16 years of age) have to report in person or through an authorized representative to the appropriate Registration Officerfor registration. No registration is required in respect of children below the age of 16 years.

Ordinarily, the registration process is completed on the same day, but it may vary in those cases where field enquiry/other checks are required to be done by the registration officer.

The above guidelines are valid for all cases except those where visa has special endorsement regarding registration.

Residential Permit:
Residential permit is issued at the time of registration, its validity being the period of stay specified in the visa. Application for extension of the Residential Permit should be made at least TWO months before its expiry to the nearest Registration Officer in the prescribed form.

Stay at Hotels:
All foreigners who stay at hotels, guesthouses or places of such nature should furnish on arrival particulars for filling in the hotel register, sign therein, and also furnish the required particulars at the time of departure.

Prohibited places:
No foreigner can visit or reside in any prohibited place, declared as such under the provisions of the Official Secrets Act, 1923 without the permission of the jurisdictional authority. For a visit to a Protected / Restricted Area/ Cantonment Area, prior permission of the competent authority must be obtained by the foreigner.

Responsibility of the Indian Host/ Sponsor
It is the responsibility of the Indian host/sponsor giving undertaking on behalf of the foreigner
i. To ensure good conduct of the foreigner during his/her stay in India and to inform the FRRO/FRO office in case of termination of / Business contract to confirm the foreigner’s departure from the country along with flight details and date of departure.
ii. To produce the foreigner in person at FRRO/FRO office within 24 hours in case of withdrawal of undertaking for the good conduct of the Foreigner. The Indian Host/ sponsor shall also inform the flight details and date of departure in the event the foreigner decides to leave the country for good.

Surrender of certificates of registration on departure:
Every foreigner who is about to depart finally from India shall surrender his certificate of registration either to the Registration Officer of the place where he is registered or of the place from where he intends to depart or to the Immigration Officer at the Port/Check post of exit at the time of final departure from India. If the certificate is surrendered other than to the Immigration Officer of the port or check post of exit, a receipt indicating such surrender of the document may be obtained and shown to the Immigration Officer at the time of final departure.

Duplicate certificate of registration:
If any certificate of registration, issued under these rules is lost or destroyed, the foreigner to whom it was issued, shall make or send to the Registration Officer of the district of his registered address a report of circumstances in which it was so lost or destroyed together with an application in writing a copy of police report in order to issue a duplicate copy of the certificate of registration.
  • Visa
  • OCI Card
  • Foreigner Regional Registration Offices
  • Police Clearance Certificate
  • Indian Citizenship
  • Legalisation & Attestation of Documents